≡ Menu

Securing a Teaching Job Overseas Requires These Documents

securing a teaching job overseas requires these documents

So, you’ve found your ideal international teaching job overseas, and you are ready to leap. Good for you!

Now it’s time to get everything in order and properly prepared for your big move to a job teaching overseas. If you are still looking for a new position, you can check out these teaching English jobs overseas.

Take care of these five documents before you move overseas to start the teacher job of your dreams.

First, check to make sure your passport is up-to-date. Passports expire every 5 years, so you will need to make sure yours and your family members’ are valid. If you don’t have a passport, you will need to get one. Leave plenty of time for the application process; it can take weeks to process a passport.

Ensure your passport will be valid throughout the length of your contract. Don’t be stuck in a foreign country with an invalid passport.

Apply for a working visa so you can teach legally in your host country. You will not be able to work legally on a tourist visa to need a working visa of some kind. Your new employer should advise you about visa requirements.

Follow the requirements exactly because there could be serious consequences for you if you mix it up. There are many different types of work visas; you must get the right one. Most countries must have it in your hands when you enter the country, or you may be refused entry, which could jeopardize your teaching contract.

Obtaining a police clearance certificate is as important to international teachers as their passports. Without a police clearance certificate, many countries will not allow you to teach children. The certificate records any convictions found on your criminal record, and you will be required to show that your record is clear.

When you are ready to return home again, you will need to acquire another police clearance from your host country. If you don’t, you could risk your ability to teach once again in your home country.

Update your Will before you go overseas. As dreadful as it sounds, it’s necessary. You should carry copies of it with you when you travel as well. If something were to happen to you in a foreign country, you would need to have all your final wishes to be confused between the two countries. You don’t want your loved ones to have to deal with horrible international red tape to carry out your wishes.

Lastly, it would be best if you looked into getting an international driver’s license so you will be able to drive in your host country. Most countries will not allow you to drive a car without one. This is an additional document you must obtain that acts as a translation for your national driver’s license permits. It is especially relevant if you plan on working in a rural area where car transport will be necessary.

Having these five documents on hand for your travels to your new host country will make your introduction to a new culture, as well as your entire experience, more enjoyable.

Proper planning and being prepared will help ensure you start on the right foot and have great international teaching experience.

If you are planning to secure a job teaching overseas, have you finished these steps in the process? Click To Tweet

If you are looking to turn your dream teaching job overseas into reality, the first thing you should do is craft the perfect school teacher or principal resume and cover letter.

If you need a competitive advantage to secure a job interview for a dream position, contact A+ Resumes for Teachers. We have been writing education resumes that get results for 16+ years, even in a competitive job market.